Time: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Why do people kill themselves? How do I ask someone if they are feeling suicidal? What do I do if they say they ARE suicidal? How do I deal with the strong emotions suicide generates? This course will provide answers to these and other questions many crisis interventionists have about suicide. It will provide participants with basic information about suicide as well as help participants develop practical skills for prevention, intervention, and postvention. Small group role plays will allow participants to apply the suggested techniques as they are learned.
- Common myths about suicide
- Risk factors for suicidal behavior
- Frequent motivations for suicide
- Problem-solving methods
- Effective intervention strategies
- Elements of effective postvention
- Elements of survivor grief
- Community referral sources
- Feelings and reactions of suicide survivors
- CISM tools to help the community recover